Slight delay getting this up, but I blame Super Bowl weekend for that.
Last week saw a couple of arrivals I’d been waiting for, my first USA N64 games, and a replacement Dreamcast shell very generously donated by Danny (@dog_retro from twitter). Friday night I sat down after dinner, got the tools out and carried out a couple of (mostly) straightforward mods.
Firstly, swapping the Dreamcast over:The replacement shell Danny sent to me, even including the modem and a bonus game. 😀
I watched a couple of youtube videos of Dreamcasts being taken apart to aid the process, but if anything they managed to make it look much harder than it actually was!Side-by-side with my battle-damaged system. Looked much worse in life, and had a lot of scratching etc.
Whole thing took about half an hour, really easy, and very pleased with the results.
Secondly, modding my Japanese N64 to play USA carts:
This is fairly straight-forward following the guide here. I did have a slight misadventure where I misread the instructions and didn’t pay enough attention to the pictures.
On my first reading of the instructions, I believed the intention was to just cut out those two blocks. This would work, but they are very solid, and would require a stronger tool. I did attempt this first anyway, as you can see:
I then realised (after stopping the bleeding) that in fact the guide just suggests removing a whole chunk of the plastic. Like so:
Easy with my hacksaw! Also very satisfying for the little die-hard SEGA fan in me to take a hacksaw to a Nintendo console. I then reassembled and tested it with my USA copy of Wipeout 64. Much rejoicing and a successful Friday evening.
Now on with the gaming!